Heartly House, Inc., has been serving victims of domestic violence, rape/sexual assault, and child abuse for over 30 years. We also assist secondary victims such as family members, spouses, significant others, and sisters or brothers.
All services are confidential except in cases of reportable child abuse and with threats homicide or suicide. Heartly House services are voluntary. Our clients make the decision regarding whether or not to access our services. Our goal is to provide support, options and referrals.
Heartly House Services:
- Our 24-Hour Hotline is available 7 days per week. We have a TTY line and provide interpreters when needed through the Language Line. The number is 301-662-8800; TTY: 301-662-1565.
- Counseling Services include crisis appointments, ongoing counseling, and support groups. We generally offer three different groups on topics such as Breaking the Cycle for Domestic Violence Victims, Sexual Assault Support, and Adults Molested as Children. We create other groups as different needs arise.
- Our Legal Services include an on-site attorney and Victim Advocates. The staff attorney offers direct representation for Protective and Peace Order hearings in District and Circuit Court. The staff attorney also provides representation for a limited number of family law cases, depending on financial eligibility. Victim Advocates provide support, accompaniment to civil and criminal hearings, safety planning, referrals, hospital accompaniments and information on courthouse protocol.
- Emergency Shelter is available for victims of Domestic Violence who are in IMMEDIATE DANGER. Our shelter is handicap accessible. We have a Safe Pet Program, which will provide a confidential shelter for family pets while clients reside in our emergency shelter.
- Referrals to other organizations in the community for resources such as the Frederick Rescue Mission, Way Station, Project 103, Cold Weather Shelter, Department of Social Services and Community Action Agency.
- Abuse Intervention Program – We currently offer two 26-session groups for men. We have held groups for female abusers when the need arises. Because we have no funding for this service, a flat $30 fee per group is charged.
- Heartly House provides Medical Accompaniments for SAFE Exams at Frederick Memorial Hospital. This is a 24-hour service. Heartly House Advocates have received special training in handling sexual assault cases and will support rape/sexual assault victims throughout the SAFE exam process.
- Our Community Educator provides Outreach and Education for a large variety of groups and different size audiences such as schools, colleges, and universities; social clubs such as the Lions and Moose clubs; churches; professional agencies; and private organizations. Heartly House tailors each presentation to the needs of the organization and will present on topics such as Heartly House services, domestic violence, sexual assault, bullying prevention, elder abuse, etc. Presentations are geared toward the age and knowledge-base of the audience.