Direct legal services provided by Heartly House, Inc., are designed to meet a client’s need for protection, representation and advocacy through the legal system.
By offering services to assist victims in protecting themselves through the legal system and by educating the public about the dynamics of abuse, Heartly House works to help prevent violence within families and the Frederick, MD community.
Blaine A. Hoffmann is the Legal Director and Staff Attorney since April 2007 for Heartly House in Frederick County, Maryland, providing representation in Orders of Protection, Divorce and Custody to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse. Previously, he was a Staff Attorney at the House of Ruth Domestic Violence Legal Clinic in Maryland. Mr. Hoffmann has represented victims of domestic violence for over thirteen years and is a 1995 graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law.
Heartly House legal staff provides a variety of services for victims of domestic violence, family violence and rape/sexual assault:
- Our on-site attorneys represent clients at Protective Order and Peace Order hearings in District and Circuit Court;
- Our attorneys also represent a limited number of clients in family law matters in Circuit Court (income eligibility guidelines apply for family law representation);
- Our victim advocates provide accompaniment and support for civil and criminal proceedings;
- Advocates provide safety planning, advocacy, referrals, support, hospital accompaniments and information on courthouse protocol;
- All legal services are provided free of charge.
Click to download the Maryland Law Help application. This application brings together tools and resources developed by the Maryland Judiciary and others to help Marylanders use the courts or find legal help.